The default fan that comes in the TiVo DVR is either noisy from the start or gradually gets louder over time. In an entertainment center in the living room you might not even notice this, but if you have it in a bedroom it becomes very noticeable.
I’ve gone through several different fans over the years and have settled on the Fractal Design Silent Series 50mm fan.
The key here is that it’s a 50mm fan, which is what is used in the TiVo Premiere DVRs. The factory fan is a bit deeper, but is the same length and width.
The process to swap the fan out is easy, just follow these steps.
- Unplug everything from the TiVo and put it on a work surface.
- Ground yourself
- Using a Torx T10 to remove the screws from the back of the TiVo
- Slide the cover back and lift up once the latches release
- Using a Torx T15 remove the screws from the fan.
- Unplug the fan from the motherboard. Note that the factory fan only uses two wires, the black on the right (looking from the back of the unit) and the red on the left.
- Put the new fan in place so that the directional arrow shows air flowing out the back of the TiVo.
- Plug the wire into the same connector on the motherboard.
- Replace the T15 screws or use the Philips screws that come with the Fractal fan. These will be self tapping so you’ll feel more resistance.
- Slide the cover back onto the TiVo.
- Replace the T10 screws.
That’s it, just plug the wires back in and start up. On boot up the TiVo always uses the maximum fan speed and then settles down as it reaches steady state.